Shipping by air freight is fast, so if time matters it’s a good option. Air shipping is your friend when speedy delivery is a factor and in today’s world, that is the case much of the time. There are things to know as you choose your shipping method.
Domestic and international air shipping are very similar. The primary difference is international shipments will go through customs. You can check out our Know Before You Go article to learn about what is involved with international shipping.
There are a number of factors that will influence the cost of shipping by air freight, including destination, weight and volume. At 环球电竞投注线上, we can help you cut through the guesswork and provide you with a FREE QUOTE .
Speed isn’t the only advantage of air freight. The frequency of departures means no waiting, the sheer number of possible destinations gives you global access. In some cases you can have same day delivery!
Turbulence, shifting in transit and air pressure must be considered as you prepare your goods for air cargo. Packaging material is important and paying attention to detail to ensure your goods remain damage free in transit will pay off.
First let’s talk about the hazards. What are you protecting your belongings from?
- Punctures and abrasions when the product shifts, or has insufficient internal packaging.
- Compression – stacking, shock, vibration, or tie-down straps all generate compressive forces that can cause product damage.
- Shipment handling – proper packaging must be able to protect contents from the drops and impacts that are common with handling operations.
Now let’s explore what you can do to protect against the hazards
At 环球电竞投注线上 we are experts in preparing goods for any kind of shipment and are happy to assist you with this. However, we like all of our clients to be well informed on the choices that are available to them.
Corrugated Fiberboard Boxes (CFB’s)
Commonly mislabeled as cardboard boxes, CFB’s are the most frequently used shipping container. Many people are unaware of the package’s strengths and weaknesses.
- These containers have inherent weak points around the edges.
- They can also degrade over time– by up to 50% of its strength within 6 months.
- Humidity can weaken a CFB by up to 90%. You must consider CFB as single use containers.
Using wood as packaging when shipping by air freight can help protect your goods, allowing for damage-free transit, if done properly. Here are some do’s and don’ts of packaging with wood.
- Always use interlocking corners on wooden crates
- Don’t put fasteners into the end grain of wood – fastener resistance can be reduced by 35% when placed in the endgrain; place them in the side or edge grain of your container
- Knots should not be larger than 30% of the surface area they appear in
- Do not place fasteners in knots
- Use diagonal braces on each panel to increase strength
Air Freight Pallets
Pallets are commonly made out of either wood or plastic and make handling of packages more efficient. Using pallets also allows shipments to be moved without direct contact, reducing exposure to damage. Here’s some things to note about air freight pallets.
- Pallets should be large enough to accommodate shipments without overhang
- Broken pallets should not be used
- Protruding fasteners should be removed before packages are placed on the pallet.
- Pallets on any shipment are required to have a floor-bearing load of more than 100 lbs per square foot.
- Know the rated capacity of your pallet; never exceed it.
Following these general best standards will keep your international shipments safe and secure while using air freight.
The team at 环球电竞投注线上 is always available to discuss your options and provide a FREE QUOTE .